Thursday, March 24, 2011

Geoffrey Boycott angers mental health charities by criticising miserable player Michael Yardy

GEOFFREY Boycott infuriated Mental health charities yesterday when he claimed depressed cricketer Michael Yardy quit the World Cup because he wasn’t good enough. England all-rounder Yardy, who flew home unexpectedly from Sri Lanka yesterday citing despair, had been criticised for his recent performances.

And Boycott, 70, said: “He must have been reading my commentary about his bowling. That must have upset him as it’s clearly too much for him. He’s not good enough at this level.” When told Yardy, 30, quit due to Mental illness rather than a loss of form, the 108-Test veteran said: “I’ve been, with respect, a better player? I’ve been able to hold my place for Yorkshire and England, so I’ve always got picked, played good, so I’ve not been in that place where my quality of play has been poor and it’s got to me mind-wise.”

No comments: