Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Housing vital to treat mental health issues

I am a senior who volunteers three times a week on the psychoanalysis in-patient unit. I have been doing that volunteer work for over three years and have never felt concern for my safety. The truth is that the vast majority of people with a mental health are not threatening or dangerous. Rather, they are much more likely to be fatalities of crime.


It saddens me that so many people have stigmatized those with a mental illness as being bad or weak-willed, or frightening or dangerous. That simply is just not true. People with mental illnesses are just like you and me. Chances are someone you know has a diagnosed or undiagnosed mental illness. Councillors needs to educate themselves on the realities of mental illness and become true leaders in Nanaimo. They must allow the housing for people with mental illness to ensue.

No comments: